Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Spicy Hibachi

Last week my husband and I decided to try the new Super Hibachi Buffet on South Main in High Point. As a rule, I generally do not like Chinese Buffets but since this Asian fare seemed to have more of a Japanese twist I decided to give it a try. With Zachary and Aeryn in tow, we set out for lunch noms at the restaurant I have now re-named the Super Hibachi Troth.

First, let me explain that there is one rule I follow in particular when eating out at Chinese/Asian/Japanese style buffets. Never eat anything fried if you do not know what it is. I have had some unpleasant experiences with this one and to this day I cannot tell you what it was that I put into my mouth, only that it came right back out post haste. It had bones, or teeth or something...whatever it was bit back.

So with this bad experience in mind, I approached the buffet area anticipating various versions of fried pieces of chicken (here kitty kitty) and a mass of large scary women fighting over crab legs. Which brings me to buffet rule number 2 - stay away from the crab leg area...unless you want to lose a limb. I am ashamed to report that I have witnessed grown people fight over crustaceans, and while it is kind of funny...you should avoid being in the middle of it. Think of the crab leg table as the mosh pit of the buffet.

This particular restaurant is one of those old Sizzlers that got converted, looks like a steakhouse on the outside. The inside was very clean and there were plenty of seats. Lunch is a good time to go, I have passed this restaurant in the evening and seen a line coming out of the door. That is usually a good sign that it is worth the $10.99 per person price at night. Lunch buffets are less crowded and also cost a little less. I didn't see any crab legs on the buffet during lunch so maybe they add it at dinner and that is why it is more expensive. Yes, you pay more to fight over crabs...LOL

So, my over all opinion of this particular dining experience was a good one. The kids had pizza, pudding, jello, ice cream and fruit. There was a lot of food for a lot of different tastes. Personally, I love sushi, and they had a whole table of many different kinds, mostly made with salmon, crab, eel or tuna. Since I am not a Sushi snob, I loved it. There was also a hibachi grill where you picked out what you wanted the hibachi cook to grill and then they prepared it. Very yummy.

Did I mention that this place has a ton of food? Salad bar, desert bar, ice cream freezer, these little square cakes, one bar had nothing but different rices on it, a bar of fried items (gag), all time favorites such as General Tso's chicken, Orange Chicken, Almond Chicken, Schezuan Beef, and Beef Broccoli. Spring Rolls, Egg Rolls, Wantons and even those Chinese donuts. I counted at least four different Asian soups too. Oh and if you don't like Chinese/Japanese food, they had chicken wings. This is why you feel like a pig at a troth eating at this place. There is more food than you should ever attempt to eat and most people have eyes bigger than their tummies...well except for this one guy sitting behind us.

After our bellies were full and our eyes glazing over to the point of "food coma" my husband and I both agreed we didn't need to even think about supper. But you know what they say about Chinese food, and so often it is true. A few hours later darn it if I wasn't hungry again...

No comments:

Post a Comment